The Genus is a commercial grade pruning multitool designed for the professional landscaper. As such, it employs heavy duty construction throughout. Unlike its cousins the Hybrid and the Vista, it does not fold up into a smaller unit. Packaged along with the Genus are useful accessories such as an open top belt sheath and a combination diamond file/disassembly wrench.
In addition to the razor sharp pruning edges, there is a soft wire cutting notch in near the pivot.
Depressing the large button on the side of the frame allows the upper handle to rotate. This gives the user ready access to the blades and tools housed within.
A sliding safety lock button locks the pruner jaws closed when not in use. It is accessible on both sides of the tool. (ambidextrous)
A decal inlaid into the side of the handle is marked LEATHERMAN Genus.
There is no date coding on the Genus.
- Clip point knife blade with plain edge. Measures 3" long. (77mm)
- Phillips screwdriver with square shank
- Combination medium flathead screwdriver/sprinkler head adjustment key
- Saw blade
- A double-sided diamond file is included with the Genus. It has a wrench on one end with which to disaasemble the tool.
- Upper blade is removable/replaceable
- Mainspring is removable/replaceable
- Locking nut on the jaw pivot bolt can be tightened as needed to maintain proper fit between the jaws
- Length = 9" (225mm)
- Width = 2-1/2" (65mm)
- Thickness = 3/4" (18mm)
- Weight = 11.9 oz (336g)
Hybrid and Vista are other pruner multitools produced by Leatherman around the same time.