2004 saw a major reshuffling of Leatherman's multitool lineup. Gone were the traditional PST, PST II, and SideClip. In their place were the new Kick, Fuse, and Blast. Zytel plastic inserts for a more comfortable grip and a plier head re-engineered to be stronger are the most notable changes. The Kick model has the fewest features of any tool in this group.
One whole side of the plier head on the Kick is ground flat, apparently to allow space for the knife blade when the tool is folded. This makes the Kick pliers slightly thinner than they would be otherwise.
Fuse and Blast, the Kick was the first tool from Leatherman to feature contoured Zytel plastic inserts for a more comfortable grip. It can be assumed that the plastic inserts add somewhat to the sturdiness also, as the gauge thickness of the stainless steel handle material has been reduced somewhat from previous models.
An inch scale is stamped onto one side of the Kick, a metric scale on the other.
- Plain edge knife blade, with clip point. Measures 2-5/8â€ (66mm)
- Small flathead screwdriver
- Medium flathead screwdriver
- Folding lanyard ring attachment
- Combination wire stripper/can opener/cap lifter
- Square shank phillips screwdriver
- Folded length = 4" (102mm)
- Unfolded length = 6-1/4" (159mm)
- Thickness = 9/16" (14mm)
- Weight = 5.3 oz (149g)
- Standard stainless finish
- Black oxide finish
- Stainless, with cap crimper jaws
- Black oxide, with cap crimper jaws
Fuse and Blast. The Core also had shared zytel handle inserts.