The Imperial Schrade line was a discount brand of knives and tools produced in Ireland. Schrade Cutlery introduced the TMT1 in 2001 to compete with economy grade multitools being imported from Asia, including it in their TRADESMAN series. The TMT1 bears no similarity to the flagship Schrade ST1 tools produced in United States. More recently, the United Cutlery company has relocated production of the TMT1 to China.
Accessing the phillips screwdriver
Accessing the small screwdriver and bottle opener
Ireland -vs- China
- Jaws are ordinary semi-needlenose profile.
- A wire cutter area is included, but no hard wire notch.
- Brushed stainless finish.
- Handles are high impact plastic, molded over a stainless steel channel.
- In the open position, the handles have an S-shaped contour to the gripping surface. This contour seems to have no redeeming qualities; it simply makes the tool feel awkward when using the pliers.
- A plastic logo insert is inlayed into one handle. The insert varies depending upon which brand name the tool is being sold under.
- Pivot screws are hex drive.
- Clip point knife blade, with plain edge. Measures 2-1/4" long (60mm)
- Phillips screwdriver
- Sheepsfoot blade, with fully serrated edge. Measures 2" long (50mm)
- Large flathead screwdriver. (sometimes seen with V-notch for stripping wire)
- Combination medium flathead screwdriver/bottle opener
- Small eyeglass screwdriver
- Can opener
- None of the blades lock open.
- All of the blades have a extremely high polish, resulting in rounded surfaces. In the case of the phillips screwdriver, this rounding effect renders the drive nearly unusable.
- Plastic blade assists are located in each handle. A small "ledge" on the assist helps to lift out a neighboring blade or tool for easy access. In one handle the assist functions with the phillips screwdriver. (see left hand photo below) In the other handle the assist works with the eyeglass screwdriver and the bottle opener. (see right hand photo below)
- Length open = 6-1/2" (165mm)
- Length closed = 4-1/4" (110mm)
- Width closed = 1-5/8" (42mm)
- Thickness = 5/8" (18mm)
- Weight = 5.7 oz (162g)
- Tradesman TMT1....................Yellow background, with TRADESMAN logo. Yellow plastic lifters.
- Imperial Apex Wilderness.......Wilderness scene with elk, geese, and fish. White background. Black plastic lifters.
- Ducks Unlimited......................Flying ducks. White background.
- Rigid......................................Tan background, with RIGID TOUGH GEAR logo. Tan plastic lifters. (China)
- The Tradesman TMT2 Snips have the same handles and blades as the TMT1.