After being absent from the multitool game for a number of years, Buck re-entered the fray in a big way with the X-Tract. A most clever and innovative device, the X-Tract combines a number of useful features into a single tool. Best of all, everything can be accessed with only one hand. There are currently no other multitools in its class.
Handles/FrameThe X-Tract is constructed using the common "layered" approach. Stainless steel liners are sandwiched around the various blades and tools. The scales are molded from a dense plastic, available in several colors. (see Variations below)
PliersThe X-Tract pliers slide forward from a slot and are immediately ready for action, thanks to them being spring-loaded. When slid all the way forward, a locking tab holds the pliers in place.
The pliers have a slight hatching on the spine of the handle for better grip when sliding back and forth. There are fine serrations out near the tips of the pliers and a coarse gripping area in the center. A wire cutter area - including hard wire notch - are down near the pivot.
In order to fit within the body of the knife, the plier handle is relatively short. This somewhat limits the amount of clamping force one can achieve when using the X-Tract pliers.
ScrewdriversIn the same "layer" as the pliers there is a double-ended screwdriver. In the center position, neither screwdriver is available. Push on the lock button and slide the bar one way accesses the phillips head. Push the button and slide the bar the other way to access the flat head.
- the knife blade on the X-Tract has a wide profile and measures just over 3" in length. (76mm) It uses a thumb stud for smooth one-hand opening. Edge style is half-serrated.
- in the same layer is a can opener/cap lifter blade. It too uses a thumb stud for easy one-hand opening.
- Both the knife blade and the can opener/bottle opener blade lock open via liner locks.
- The pliers lock open via a knurled push button.
- The screwdrivers lock open via a push button thumb switch.
Other FeaturesA large lanyard attachment loop extends from one end of the tool.
SheathThe X-Tract sheath is cordura material molded to a close fit. It features a snap closure. There are nylon straps on the back that allow both vertical and horizontal carry.
- Folded length = 4-1/2" (114mm)
- Total length, blade unfolded = 7-1/2" (190mm)
- Total length, pliers extended = 6" (152mm)
- Thickness = 3/4" (19mm)
- Weight = 6.3 oz (176g)
VariationsHandle colors in black, red, blue, platinum, and Realtree camoflage were produced.
BackgroundA collaborative design effort with mountaineer Peter Whittaker. Introduced in 2006. Manufactured in China.
Related ToolsBuck X-Tract LED 731 and X-Tract FIN 732.
- Buck X-Tract review at Multitool.org
- another Buck X-Tract review at Multitool.org
- X-Tract advertisement - from April 2007
- Buck X-Tract patent application - with notes about an LED variation