The Multi-Snip Tool Kit was produced in China and imported by Fiskars in the late 1990's. It incorporates a number of unique features that didn't appear on Gerber (a Fiskars brand) multitools until years later, such as outside opening knife blade with thumb stud. Ironically, no other Gerber or Fiskars tool has ever featured a pocket clip. Quality is quite good for a tool of Chinese manufacture.
Unique FeaturesSmall side-mounted folding pliers tool, removable file blade, one-hand liner-locking knife blade, spring loaded jaws, pocket clip. See below for more details.
- Multi-Snip jaws are tight enough to cut paper, yet built strongly enough to handle more demanding cutting jobs like cardstock, plastic blister pack material, and thin sheet metal.
- There is also a wire cutter notch located in near the pivot.
- Jaws are spring loaded.
- Using the patented Gerber system of sliding jaws, simply depress the two buttons on the handles and the jaws slide out and lock into position.
- Finish on the jaws is black oxide.
Handles/FrameEach handle is comprised of stainless steel sheet bent into an S shape. This allows the tool to have both outside-opening and inside-opening blades.
The word EXCALIBUR is etched into one handle. Patent information is marked on the back. Finish is highly polished stainless steel.
Blades and Tools
- Small folding pliers, spring loaded. 3" long (75mm)
- Plain edge knife blade, with:
- Drop point profile
- Outside opening (able to be used without extending the pliers)
- Thumb stud for one-hand opening
- Liner lock
- Measures 2-1/2" long (65mm)
- Combination can opener/small flathead screwdriver
- Combination bottle opener/medium flathead screwdriver
- Three-sided file blade (removable)
- Saw blade
- Phillips screwdriver with square shank
Locking MechanismOnly the knife blade locks open, utilizing a standard liner lock.
Other FeaturesA sturdy belt clip is mounted onto one side.
- Length open= 6-1/2" (165mm)
- Length closed = 4-3/4" (120mm)
- Width closed = 1-3/8" (34mm)
- Thickness = 7/8" (22mm)
- Weight = 8.9 oz (251g)
Related ToolsThe Multi-Snip is almost identical to the Paul Chen Multi Tasker. It also has many similarities in construction to the Zibermann 2000 plier tool, and the Excalibur Pruners.
VariationsThe Excalibur tool differs from the Paul Chen only in the markings etched on the handles, and the finish on the small folding plier tool. (Paul Chen = black pliers, Excalibur = zinc plated pliers)
BackgroundFirst noted in 1996. Made in Dalian China.
- Paul Chen Multi Tasker review - at Multitool.org